AstraZeneca is a pharmaceutical company socially-responsible policy. As of 2014, this company takes 8th position in the world according to the sales results of the pharmaceutical production.
AstraZeneca was established in 1999 as a result of merging two pharmaceutical companies: the Swiss Astra AB and the British Zeneca Group. But the history of this corporation started in 1912.
The main activity of AstraZeneca is related to the development and production of the prescription drugs for the treatment of:
- Gastro-intestinal tract disorders (Entocort, Nexium)
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system (Betaloc, Tenormin, Zestril, Crestor, Ramace, Imdur)
- Neurologic diseases (Seroquel, Seroquel XR, Mysoline)
- Oncologic diseases (Nolvadex, Zoladex, Tomudex, Arimidex, )
- Respiratory diseases (Symbicort, Pulmicort, Rhinocort, Bambec)
The sales of the company are made within the territory of more than 100 countries in the world. The main task of the company is providing patients all over the world with innovative, effective, and safe medical drugs.
Besides the development of the strong prescription pharmaceutical drugs AstraZeneca spends big sums on the development of the biotechnical products.
One of the top-priority directions of AstraZeneca is scientific research activity. Investments into the scientific activity were more than 4 bln USD in 2014.
There are already examples in the history of the company when the professional scientific activity has lead to the development of the unique highly effective products which have been still used.
The following drugs may be referred to the discoveries of AstraZeneca company:
- Nexium (the best drug for the treatment of the acid-dependent diseases of the GIT)
- Crestor (used to reduce cholesterol in the blood for many years)
- Symbicort (one of the best drugs for the treatment of bronchial asthma and COPD)
At the moment, AstraZeneca continues building a new research center in Cambridge to which most part of the company’s scientists will be transferred.