Triamterene is a prescription drug used for the treatment of high blood pressure associated with liver cirrhosis, congestive heart failure, nephrotic syndrome as well as idiopathic and steroid-induced edema. Being a diuretic (water pill), here’s how Triamterene works:
- the drug is in essence a combination of a thiazide diuretic and a potassium-sparing diuretic. It helps the kidney eliminate sodium (salt) and water from the body.
- the elimination of sodium from the kidney and water helps alleviate symptoms associated with edema (water retention) and high blood pressure. The second component of the drug helps minimize potassium loss.
It may be used alone or in combination with other drugs as long as there are no bad interactions.
Precautions before using Triamterene
When you order Triamterene online keep in mind that it’s a prescription drug that should be used as instructed. Your medical history will be put to scrutiny so that if you have liver problems, kidney problems, mineral imbalances (like low sodium levels in blood or high levels potassium in blood), gout or any condition that causes low folic levels in blood then your case is treated different. The same applies to expectant women and those nursing infants. If you have high blood sugar then the pharmacist will have to adjust your medication. Do not use Triamterene medication if:
- you are allergic to its ingredients. Read the leaflet for list of all ingredients
- you have a severe kidney problem or high blood potassium levels or if you are unable to urinate
- you are taking another potassium sparing diuretic like spirinolactine or another drug containing Triamterene, a salt substitute or an aldosterone blocker. Your pharmacist will advise you on this.
- if you are planning for a baby or if you’re pregnant or nursing a baby
All in all, schedule for an appointment with the doctor for proper dosage prescription.
The prescribed dose differs from one person to another. Under normal circumstances (the assumption here is that the drug is being used alone), a starting dose of 100mg taken twice a day will do. However, if another antihypertensive or diuretic drug is also being taken the dose is lowered then it’s gradually increased to suit you. The daily dosage limit must not exceed 300mg.
How to use Triamterene
- stick to the recommended dose
- the drug may increase your trips to the bathroom so take it before 6 to avoid sleep disruption
- you can take Triamterene with food if it upsets your stomach if taken without
- if you miss your dose take it as soon as you remember unless its time for another dose.
You may feel lightheaded,tired, feel a stomach upset or get diarrhea. These symptoms fade away fast but if they don’t, tell your doctor. There are other rare but severe side effects that may also affect you. For instance: persistent vomiting, severe headaches, dark urine, yellowing of the eyes, kidney problems and signs of an infection like coughing, chills or seizures should be addressed immediately.
You can order Triamterene online at an affordable price. Just go to the drugs catalog. Select. Checkout and wait. Remember to take the medication as prescribed.